Data Scientist (Energy Infrastructure) - Full Time Opportunity
Join a dynamic, growing Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) company delivering business intelligence analytics and advisory services to blue chip customers in the energy and financial industries to explain and predict regulatory, legal, and market events by combining proprietary AI technology with industry expertise.
The LawIQ team seeks smart, driven, and curious teammates interested in pursuing rapid professional growth at the intersections of data-driven technologies, energy infrastructure, law, and regulatory policy to join our data science and software engineering team.
This position offers the opportunity to drive development of our machine learning (ML) based predictive technologies used by leading energy and financial companies to forecast the feasibility and timing of major projects, such as natural gas pipelines, that are enabling America’s energy independence.
Your technical knowledge of ML algorithms and statistical modeling techniques, combined with your desire to work with customers to inform their business critical decisions will make a significant contribution to LawIQ’s growth and enable you to autonomously operate and expand the analytical tech stack and build the data science team.
About the position
The Energy Infrastructure Data Scientist (EIDS) with the data science and software engineering team to expand the predictive technologies embedded in LawIQ’s energy analytics SaaS platform. By interacting with large disparate textual data sets and API interfaces, the EIDS will identify, build, and maintain new feature sets and value driving product extensions. The dynamic and unique customer needs we address allow for creativity and experimentation with new techniques.
Responsibilities will include:
- Analyzing disparate data sets of textual regulatory filings and applying statistical modeling techniques to derive patterns and insights to generate probabilistic decision support models.
- Applying ML algorithms such as random forest and gradient boosting to ensemble models to continuously improve their predictive capabilities of energy regulatory processes.
- Collaborating with the research and commercial teams and interacting with customers to understand their use cases and need for data driven decision support and address via software product development and delivery of advisory services.
- Utilizing multiple data visualization tools and techniques to wrangle data sets ingested by our proprietary data acquisition systems and conducting analyses to transform the data into clear compelling visuals.
Driven, dedicated, data obsessed and design oriented. You are able to quickly gain the trust of team members and have a demonstrated pattern of success and initiative, a desire to learn, and the ability to thrive in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Education – Bachelor's of Science degree in a related field. MS preferred.
- Functional knowledge -
- experience applying multiple statistical modeling techniques including linear and nonlinear regression, and regularization methods
- exposure to and understanding of Bayesian modeling
- proficiency with ML algorithms and ensemble modeling techniques including random forest and gradient boosting
- understanding of key ML concepts such as hyperparameter optimization and model assessment and evaluation
- mastery of R and Python
- working knowledge of visualization libraries such as ggplot2 and matplotlib
- understanding of relational databases and NoSQL databases
- experience interacting with APIs
- exposure to neural network platforms such as Tensorflow or PyTorch
- An interest in the energy industry and associated technology, policy, legal, and regulatory domains
- Exposure to and desire to work in entrepreneurial environments
You may have or seek
- Experience engaging customers in consultative role
- Experience working with agile development processes, tools, and teams
- Experience leading team(s)
Job Location / Type: Washington, D.C. - Full time
Compensation & Benefits: Commensurate with experience
- Base salary plus opportunities for equity
- Employer sponsored health plans
- Flexible work hours
- Unlimited paid time off
- Annual professional development opportunities budget
Work Environment: LawIQ has offices in Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD, and a satellite in Denver, CO. We offer a collaborative and flexible work environment that includes opportunities for professional development and to work remotely.
Equal Opportunity: LawIQ is committed to the recruitment, hiring, and promotion of qualified individuals and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, or veteran status.
To Apply: Send resume and cover email to firstname.lastname@example.org
LawIQ (www.lawiq.com) is a leading provider of regulatory and legal data analytics and advisory services for blue chip energy and industrial corporations and financial firms who need to deploy capital with confidence, manage risk, and maximize returns. For the first time, millions of unstructured regulatory, financial, and legal filings are structured and obtainable in an intuitive platform that sets a new standard for capturing, monitoring, modeling, and forecasting regulatory events. LawIQ’s team of lawyers, statisticians, and software experts apply industry knowledge and machine learning technologies to engineer data acquisition systems, create analytics, and originate insights that reveal regulatory and legal intelligence and predict permitting milestones.
Create commerce for our customers by providing technologies and expertise that explain and predict energy market regulatory and legal events.
Our core values
- Commitment –We are driven to make our customers wildly successful.
- Passion – We are creating something that is greater than ourselves.
- Authenticity – We are candid even when it is uncomfortable.
- Humility – We are open to personal change and continuous improvement.
- Grit - We set goals that often require going outside our comfort zone.
- Unity – We are a family.